1043 Civic Center Drive
Suite 200
Santa Ana, CA 92703


714-997-4400

Law Office of Ronald G. Brower Blog

 

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Former New England Patriots Player Aaron Hernandez Charged with Murder



Oftentimes it is easy to forget, that even celebrities are not immune to criminal prosecution and will be held liable for their crimes.

In recent news, the most notable celebrity has been former New England Patriots tight-end Aaron Hernandez. On June 26, Hernandez was take
n into custody at his home in Massachusetts. The move came days after cops searched Hernandez’s home looking for evidence connected to the murder of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, an ex semi-pro football player.

Lloyd’s body was discovered in a park in North Attleborough, Massachusetts last Monday. It appears he was shot through the back of the head. According to reports, Lloyd had been dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancée.

Prosecutors say there was communication between the victim and Hernandez just 10 hours before the victim’s death. They believe they have video showing Lloyd getting into Hernandez’ car around that time. They also say Hernandez had been texting Lloyd. The DA said keys were found in Lloyd’s pocket to a car that had been rented by Hernandez.

Prosecutors believe Odin had said something recently to Hernandez that destroyed his trust.

In addition to murder, Hernandez has been charged with 1 count of carrying a gun without a license, 2 counts of possession of a large firearm, and 2 counts of firearm possession. He has pleaded not guilty. 

A criminal conviction can carry serious consequences, including jail time and steep fees. It is important to secure representation by an experienced and aggressive criminal defense attorney to give your case the attention it needs. The criminal defense attorneys at Brower and Associates have years of experience fighting for the rights of those charged with criminal offenses, and working to get their sentences reduced. Call Brower and Associates today for help with your case.

Labels: , , , , ,

Posted by Ronald Brower at 0 Comments Links to this post

Monday, June 24, 2013

Scottie Pippen Allegedly Involved in Assault at Famous Malibu Restaurant

Scottie Pippen and his wife at a Bulls game.

Former Chicago Bulls star Scottie Pippen, 47, was questioned for about an hour Monday by Los Angeles County sheriffs after the ex-Dream Teamer was accused of an assault outside a Malibu restaurant Sunday night. 

Pippen was not arrested, contrary to reports by some media. According to the L.A. County Sheriff's Department Captain Pat Davoren, Pippen came in voluntarily to a Los Angeles County sheriff's substation after he was named as a suspect in the altercation outside Nobu restaurant, a celebrity hangout on the beach in Malibu. He spoke to police for about an hour and was released pending further investigation. 

According to Davoren, Pippen was out dining with his family Sunday evening at Nobu, a Malibu sushi restaurant, when he was approached by a man wanting an autograph. Later, the man allegedly began taking pictures. When Pippen and his family were finished eating and walked outside the restaurant, the man approached again, again asking for an autograph.

An argument ensued, and Pippen got upset and allegedly punched the man in the fact. The alleged victim was hospitalized with a head injury. 

Investigators were interviewing several witnesses to determine whether Pippen should be charged with assault with intent to commit great bodily harm. 

A criminal conviction such as assault can carry serious consequences, including jail time and steep fees. It is important to secure representation by an experienced and aggressive criminal defense attorney to give your case the attention it needs. The criminal defense attorneys at Brower and Associates have years of experience fighting for the rights of those charged with criminal offenses, and working to get their sentences reduced. Call Brower and Associates today for help with your case. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , , , , ,

Posted by Ronald Brower at 0 Comments Links to this post

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Night Stalker Richard Ramirez Dead at 53

Convicted serial killer Richard Ramirez, known as the "Night Stalker," died early Friday morning of natural causes, according to California corrections officials.

Ramirez, 53, has been housed on death row for decades awaiting execution, but had been taken from San Quentin's death row to Marin General Hospital, where authorities said he died of liver failure. 

Ramirez was convicted in 1989 of 13 Los Angeles area murders, as well as charged of rape, sodomy, oral copulation, burglary and attempted murder. He was sentenced to death. The murders in 1984 and 1985 terrorized Souther California, with satanic symbols left at bloody murder scenes and some victims being forced to "swear to Satan" by the killer, who entered home through unlocked windows and doors. Ramirez's killing rampage finally ended in August of 1985, when he was captured and beaten by citizens in East Los Angeles after he tried to steal a woman's car. 

The trial of Ramirez took a year, but the entire case, bogged down by pretrial motions and appeals, lasted four years, one of the longest criminal cases in U.S. history. Because of the notoriety of the case, more than 1600 prospective jurors were called.

In 2006, the California Supreme Court upheld Ramirez's convictions and death sentence. The U.S. Supreme Court refused in 2007 to review the convictions and sentence. Two years later, San Francisco police said DNA linked Ramirez to the April 10, 1984, killing of 9-year-old Mei Leung. She was killed in the basement of a residential hotel where she lived with her family.

Ramirez previously was tied to killing in North California, several of which he was never tried. 


Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , , , , ,

Posted by Ronald Brower at 0 Comments Links to this post

Friday, June 7, 2013

Couple Charged with Abuse of Daughters


A married couple in Orange County who spent their days in an unsanitary mobile home playing World of Warcraft have been charged with child abuse after two girls in their care were found malnourished and locked in the home, prosecutors said Friday.

Lester Louis Huffmire and his wife, Petra Huffmire, both 41, have been charged with two felony counts of child abuse and two misdemeanor counts of false imprisonment, according to a statement from the Orange County district attorney's office. The pair lived in Anaheim with the two girls, ages 10 and 5, who were related to them. Prosecutors did not describe how they were related.

Prosecutors said that from May 2010 to earlier this month, the Huffmires allegedly allowed the home to become uninhabitable, with kitchen appliances covered in mold and cobwebs and stacks of trash, debris, mold and feces scattered throughout the home. The toilets, prosecutors said, were inoperable.Prosecutors said that the girls couldn't leave the home for any reason, including school.

On May 20, a neighbor called Anaheim police. An officer visited the home and found the malnourished girls with matted hair, rotted teeth and dirt crusted on their feet.

Lester Huffmire is being held on $100,000 bail, and prosecutors asked that the same amount be set for Petra Huffmire when the two were arraigned Friday, according to the statement. If convicted, prosecutors said, the pair could each face up to seven years in prison.

If you or a loved one has been arrested or charged with a crime, it is important to secure representation by an experienced and aggressive criminal defense attorney to give your case the attention and defense it needs. The criminal defense attorneys at Brower and Associates have years of experience fighting for the rights of those charged with criminal offenses, and working to get their sentences reduced. Call Brower and Associates today for help with your case.

Labels: , , , ,

Posted by Ronald Brower at 0 Comments Links to this post